Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bendy straws



I was at the fabric store today with my youngest daughter. We found some bendy straws in the summer supplies section.

I bought them. They are an inexpensive way to provide smiles to the kids.

I started thinking about the first time that I remember having a bendy straw.

My sister was born in the mid seventies. She was six weeks early. Back then, it was a much more serious deal than it is now. My sister stayed in the hospital for almost a month. My mom was there for about a week. My dad would take my brother and I to the hospital. I remember having to see my sister through the nursey window and she was in an incubator. I only remember one trip to the hospital. On that trip, Dad took us to have a soda in the cafeteria. They had bendy straws. They were in paper wrappers. Not only did my brother and I have fun with the bendy straws, we also learned the fun of scrunched up paper "growing" when you put a little of your soda on it.

I will have to wait until we get some straws with paper wrappers to teach my kids about making the papers grow. For now, we will all enjoy our bendy straws.

By the way, the photo is my youngest daughter with the package of bendy straws. She is standing next to the butterfly treehouse with five newly emerged Painted Lady butterflies.

No comments: